Not only is it April Fool’s Day, it is also the first day of NATIONAL POETRY MONTH so we will be celebrating each and every day of April with anything and everything that is poetry!
To celebrate National Poetry Month in our own special way, forWord will be writing 30 poems for 30 days!
According to the official website of the Academy of American Poets:
What is National Poetry Month? National Poetry Month is a month-long, national celebration of poetry established by the Academy of American Poets in 1996. The concept is to widen the attention of individuals and the media—to the art of poetry, to living poets, to our complex poetic heritage, and to poetry books and journals of wide aesthetic range and concern. We hope to increase the visibility and availability of poetry in popular culture while acknowledging and celebrating poetry’s ability to sustain itself in the many places where it is practiced and appreciated.
Why was April chosen for National Poetry Month? In coordination with poets, booksellers, librarians, and teachers, the Academy chose a month when poetry could be celebrated with the highest level of participation. Inspired by the successful celebrations of Black History Month (February) and Women’s History Month (March), and on the advice of teachers and librarians, April seemed the best time within the year to turn attention toward the art of poetry—in an ultimate effort to encourage poetry readership year-round.
- What can I do to celebrate NPM? There are thousands of ways to celebrate. We’ve developed a list of 30 to get you started—one for every day in April.
What are the goals of National Poetry Month? The goals of National Poetry Month are to:
- Highlight the legacy and ongoing achievement of American poets
- Introduce more Americans to the pleasures of reading poetry
- Bring poets and poetry to the public in immediate and innovative ways
- Make poetry a more important part of the school curriculum
- Increase the attention paid to poetry by national and local media
- Encourage increased publication, distribution, and sales of poetry books
- Increase public and private philanthropic support for poets and poetry
Spread the word and let’s celebrate poetry together!